Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The amazing things we almost miss

I had been aware of (read that, intrigued by) the Northampton Poetry Open Mike on Tuesday nights for a while, but it had already been filed under Things I Cannot Do as Single Mom to a Child Not Old Enough to be Left Alone. So, when my sister invited my daughter to her place for a couple of last-remnants-of-summer days, I immediately thought of going to the Open Mike, which was to be held, in fact, very near where I was to be working until 5:00.

And I very nearly talked myself out of it.

Why? There were a thousand practical reasons not to go. It would make for a late night, I was already tired, it was a chance for a rare evening of solitude. 

I think the real reason, though, was I was afraid I might love it. And that if I loved it, I might want to go back. Which was going to be one gigantic logistical problem. So, why go there in the first place?

All day, I went back and forth. I really didn't decide until the last minute that I would go.

And I might not have, would probably not have, if it hadn't been for my fantastic friend Lindsay, who was going to be there, attended regularly, and told me how terrific it was.

OK, OK, I'll go, I finally decided. But I might leave early. And I'm just going to listen.

The venue was technically a bar (I am not so much a bar type of gal), but the event itself was held in a banquet room in the back of the building. As people filed in, I was immediately struck by the warmth, laughter, and camaraderie in the room. 

So, to make a long story short, I listened. In what ended up being an enthralled sort of listening. And I even read (gasp), because, you know, we all walk around with our binders of poetry, just in case. The energy, talent, and enthusiasm was amazing, and the featured poet who read, Scott Beal, had us all captivated. (Hey, anybody who writes octopus divorce poems is okay by me!)

All told, it was an incredible evening that left this non-drinker feel like I was leaving with a buzz. I'm already trying to figure out how I can get back there again.

And I came so, so close to missing it.

Kids don't miss out on the interesting and exciting stuff, not if they have any say in it! My 8-year-old would try to do three activities at one time, just to avoid missing out on anything,

But we grown-ups? (Well. At least this grown-up!)  We talk ourselves out of things. We make and believe all these excuses. And sometimes, amazing things go on without us.

I'm so glad this one didn't get by me.

I dare you to do something you're dying to do, but have made a long list of reasons not to. (Nothing too dangerous or illegal, friends!)  When you're through, please tell me about it. By then, I might need another amazing something to experience vicariously. 

Of course, if you can't reach me, I'm probably out doing the poetry thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment